Often people mistakenly think a daily practise involves lots of extra time or access to wide open spaces.
But really, a daily practise is something that can be worked into your everyday routine if you are willing to bring your awareness into the present moment ~ and that doesn’t take more than a few seconds while you are in motion.
When you are pretty far removed from nature in the city, it can feel like you are unable to connect with these forces when surrounded by concrete and steel in a small space.
By placing your attention on the divine that permeates all around you, you can easily tap into the interconnectedness that pervades urban and rural unhindered by time or distance.
When you realise that the expansive, loving feeling that nature effortlessly spurs within you doesn’t derive from your surroundings there are a number of ways to consciously tune in.
Shortcuts to click around this post:
22 City Witch Secrets for Feeling More Connected to Nature and the Elements
- When you wash your face take the few seconds to notice the cool freshness on your skin, inhale and say thank you for this day
- When you apply your skincare product, perfume or cologne take a moment to inhale the fragrance and connect with the prominent floral or spicy note, then go deeper into the petals of the flower or the leaves or bark
- As you make your morning beverage actively recognise the elements of air, fire, water and earth that play a role in what is in your cup – where is it made? How is it made? What does it consist of? What process does it go through to get to you?
- If there is one near your place of employment, go for a walk in a park or sit by a fountain during your lunch hour
- Look for a farmer’s market so that you can get fresh, local and in-season produce
- Install a Himalayan Salt Lamp to neutralise positive ions from electronic equipment and improve indoor air quality
- Bath in the dark in silence or with a soft nature sounds audio track playing in the background
- Imagine skyscrapers anchoring vitalising energy from the sky into the Earth as if they were functioning as interstellar communications towers
- Book regular aromatherapy or hot stone massages (especially when the moon is in Taurus or Libra)
- Purchase flower essences to incorporate into your rituals
- Add essential oils to a diffuser, bowl of water or dehumidifier
- Modify your phone and computer wallpapers with the seasons
- Suspend a wind chime or sun catcher near a window
- Keep potted plants (Maiden Hair fern, African violet, herbs etcetera)
- Get a mini desktop Zen garden to rearrange according to your mood
- Install a small water feature
- Choose artwork with calm nature scenes that draw you in
- Draw an oracle card from a favourite deck each morning and look for things that relate to the message given in your city surrounds throughout the day
- Change the colour of your accent pillows, curtains and placemats with the seasons
- If you have the space, set up an altar that shifts in some way with the lunar phases
- Adapt your habits for example, drink a different tea in summer than winter, go to bed earlier or get up earlier. Do things that keep you in touch with the natural cycles despite the artificial lighting
- Pay attention to how the city sounds at different times of the day, on different days of the week and with the varying seasons. Can you feel the energy shift too?
Let the above examples inspire you to let a simple daily practise, no matter how short, become a living breathing part of your day right now.
How to Connect with the Element of Air Anywhere
Through Air you come to know your Thinking Self; thoughts, beliefs, emotion, your viewpoint and understanding of how the cosmos works. Since sound travels through air this element is also about listening and refining your skill to hear the utterances from the unified field.
This post will show you how to connect with the element of Air no matter where you are within a few minutes, even with nosy neighbours or non-magical folk around.
Air is the element of the mind and thought is the fastest way to bridge the gap between where you are now and where you want to be.
It is helpful to connect with the element of Air when you feel
1) At a loss for direction, your thoughts and energy are scattered all over the place and you are having difficulty getting present with the task before you
2) When you can’t decide what do next or where to start regarding a situation
3) When you feel intellectually fatigued or unable to define and focus your thoughts
4) When your mind is pelting you with repetitive, distracting thoughts
5) When you feel too vague to make a decision or reason out a complex situation
Here is how to re-align with the wisdom of Air:
- Wherever you find yourself sitting or standing; take 3 slow, deep breaths, call to mind an image that evokes the element of Air for you such as windswept seeds, falling leaves, feathers or wisps of incense smoke.
- Focussing on this representation in your mind’s eye, sense the cosmic winds that flow around and through you, carrying answers, gratitude and requests to and from the ether. Bringing shifts in perspective, new thought patterns and clearing away the old.
- Ask for the element of air to guide you and to give you a message regarding your present circumstance. You may feel a sensation or hear an intuitive voice at once or it may find its way to you later.
- Become aware of your presence in your body, claiming all scattered aspects of yourself and drawing them into this moment.
- Release the image and go about your day.
How to Connect with the Element of Fire Anywhere
Through Fire you come to know your Radiant Self; stepping into your power, claiming your ability to flow with and mould Creative Essence purposefully into meaningful experience and just enjoying and demonstrating exuberance for life.
This post shows you how to connect with the element of Fire no matter where you are within a few minutes, even with nosy neighbours or non-magical folk around.
Fire is the element of passion and inspiration. Will you dare to take match your actions with your highest wisdom?
It is helpful to connect with the element of Fire when you feel:
1) Uninspired by life, disinterested in yourself and your vision
2) Listless when action is required, timid about taking the next step
3) Overly theatrical about events
4) Impatient about getting results
5) Reckless in your conduct
Here is how to reconnect with the element of Fire:
- Wherever you find yourself sitting or standing; take 3 slow, deep breaths, in your mind’s eye become aware of the fire within you. See this flame at your core burning at a steady, poised rate. The energy it generates is enough to solder, temper, transmute or raze at a moment’s notice.
- Is it weak and sputtering or a raging inferno? Adjust the flame so that you are comfortable with its burn rate. You can always repeat the exercise and fine-tune as required later.
- Now with your attention on the flame, ask for the element of fire to guide you with a message regarding your present circumstance. You may feel a sensation or hear an intuitive voice at once or it may find its way to you later.
- Become aware of your presence in your body, resolving trust in your inner guidance and stepping forward in your expression of truth.
- Release the vision and go about your day.
How to Connect with the Element of Water Anywhere
Through Water you come to know your Emotional Self; processing and dispersing both what serves and what doesn’t in a constant stream of possibilities, skilfully navigating the highs and lows so you are allowing and receiving in a constant state of flux.
This post shows you how to connect with the element of water no matter where you are within a few minutes, even with nosy neighbours or non-magical folk around.
Water is the element of emotion and intuition. The water in your body ebbs and flows responding to lunar energy, so you are more listless and creative when the moon waxes and noticeably more energetic and active when it wanes.
It is helpful to connect with the element of Water when you feel:
1) As if as though you are a puddle spread out on the floor or like a stagnant muddy pool
2) When things are gushing rapidly beyond your ability to keep up
3) If you feel overly emotional, sulky or melodramatic
4) If something leaves you feeling emotionally cold or unresponsive
5) When you find you are being over nostalgic, thinking things were better in the past, longing for what was or guilt tripping on what you could or should have done in hindsight
Here is how to re-align with the wisdom of Water:
- Wherever you find yourself, sitting or standing; take 3 slow, deep breaths, call to mind something that evokes the element of water for you, this can be mist, seashells, a waterfall or the colour aquamarine.
- Concentrating on this link become aware of the blood coursing through your arteries and veins, sensing the fluid pulse in your energy centres, washing away past hurts, resolving imbalances and elucidating turmoil.
- Ask for the element of water to guide you as you ease into the flow of cosmic rhythm for the current to bring you what is in accordance with your highest most joyful path. You may feel a sensation, hear an intuitive voice or glimpse a dreamy vision.
- Bring your awareness back to your centre, release the moment and go about your day.
How to Connect with the Element of Earth Anywhere
Through Earth you come to know your Physical Self as an infinite being mastering your ability to fuse Spirit and matter in a human experience, navigating various cycles where you hold the space for what can be without attachment to the result.
This post shows you how to connect with the element of Earth no matter where you are within a few minutes, even with nosy neighbours or non-magical folk around.
Earth is the element of matter and grounds you so that you can conduct and receive energy signals better. Without grounding your intentions on the material plane they will remain castles in the air.
It is helpful to connect with the element of Earth when you feel
1) Drained from pushing and willing things to happen to no avail
2) When you feel disconnected from your body or separate from All That Is
3) If you feel that time is running out
4) If you feel lonely and unfulfilled
5) Or when you are disenchanted with the planet and disgruntled with the way things are on this plane
Here is how to reconnect with the element of Earth:
- Wherever you find yourself sitting or standing; take 3 slow, deep breaths, call to mind an image that evokes the element of Earth, such as the texture of wood, a crystal, basket of fruit or lush green foliage.
- Contemplating this image let your core connect with the Earth’s core sensing the energy stream of all relations who have walked before you on this planebeneath the soles of your feet, while the light of your starry lineage enters your crown chakra from above.
- Inhale and let the energies of earth and sky meet and swirl in your heart centre.
- Exhaling let this unified energy surge out from your heart into the vast fertile, abundant matrix within which all creative potential exists.
- Ask for the element of Earth to guide you and to give you a message regarding your present circumstance. You may feel a sensation or hear an intuitive voice at once or it may find its way to you later.
- Feel your cells respond as you open mind and heart to fresh possibilities and blessings, carrying it forward with you as you emerge from this moment, releaseand go about your day.
4-Minute Element You Can Do Anywhere
Your energy is required by the dreams you are creating as well as daily chores and commitments you already have on your plate.
How do you keep your energy from becoming dispersed, your focus from becoming scattered and your own needs met? The four elements surround you, readily available for you to harness their gifts at any time.
Four minutes to balance and restore your energy to the present moment
“I Am Earth”
Grounding is the process where you consciously reinforce your connection with the life force energy that constantly courses through you and root it firmly into the Earth. You are a conduit and your body is a vessel, in this way you conduct a greater volume and higher frequency of energy with more ease, ensure a consistent replenishment of life force and exude a more powerful, focussed charge.
Imagine a sparkling beam of light entering your crown chakra, coursing down your body to exit from the soles of your feet. Become aware of the fresh scent of something you love about the Earth for example, pine needles, freshly baked bread or percolating coffee. Feel your feet firmly planted on the ground or your back fully supported by your chair.
“I Am Air”
Inhale deeply from your belly or the base of your spine and place your attention on your thoughts. You could see them as wispy clouds floating about within your energy field. Notice the varying textures, colours and intensity with which some flow. Simply observe them in your mind’s eye and net the ones that feel good, separating them from the ones that feel less than and just plain yuck!
What story are you scripting for yourself? Are you telling your tale forward from this moment through who you are now or are you telling your story from the past? Listen to the whirl of words in your mind space – are they carrying your seeds of intention to fertile lands?
Net the good feeling thoughts, for example, “my daughter and her baby have a healthy, happy birth”, “my novel is complete” and “I pass my certification with flying colours.” Pop them into your heart-space like cotton candy melting in your mouth.
Let the less-than thoughts and icky ones like, “I can’t do this”, “I will never finish this chapter” and “what if …” get whooshed away by a strong gust of intellectual wind.
“I Am Water”
Retrieve all your scattered energy, predominantly emotions and scenarios which you leant a lot of emotional weight to. Such as an argument with your spouse, irritations in the post office queue, replaying of how you could have said or done something differently during a heated exchange etcetera.
Know that you can honour the feelings of others without needing to fix them. Know that you can be completely present and listen to another without taking on their baggage for them. Know that it is alright to feel whatever emotions surface and that you will emerge from them as soon as you have discharged their vibration.
For example, become aware of how you are feeling at various times in your day and choose to spiral up if you aren’t content with your emotional state. This may mean doing something else briefly that stirs your well of creativity and nurtures your soul just enough to allow you to return with a renewed perspective of the undercurrent of the issue at hand.
Visualise all your energy retracting from these scenes like streams of water returning to you, their ocean. Let it wash through your cells, cleansing them of all that no longer serves you and draining into the earth’s core for transmutation.
“I Am Fire”
Envision yourself as you would like to move through your next step. Own that sense of achieving what it is you set out to do, claim the sensation of receiving the answer, clarity, solution or opportunity you seek. Become you in that space now already before it is.
True power is fuelled from within. If you find yourself complacent in a holding pattern that you are too fearful to emerge from, one that you maintain with thoughts of someday and procrastination, remember that the first step needs to come from you, even if your only action is to ask what your next step is.
Where have you been complacent? What within you keeps things the way they have been? How can you forge anew inside of this present moment?
Take inspired action, for example, if you feel called to drive across town for an organic green smoothie, you may meet synchronicity there! Affirm that you are ready and open to receive what you are asking for.
Then allow it to enter your space by letting go of this exercise and going about your day as usual, trusting that what you need in alignment with your highest good will be delivered to you in a perfect way which you will notice with ease.
Looking for more ritual ideas?